Plans are underway for a Northern Health Libraries Conference – name, date and venue still to be confirmed!
This morning I made the trip into Leeds to meet with the organising committee for the first time. I did feel slightly guilty when I realised that I was the only one from the Yorkshire part of the north and everyone else had travelled further than me. Still – I’m sure a trip to sunny Yorkshire was a treat for all! The call went out a little while ago for volunteers to help with organising the conference and I am really pleased to be involved. It is a really great opportunity to meet and work with colleagues from across the wider northern region and I do love to work on a project.
Anyway, back to the conference. The initial planning meeting focused on the following:
- Introductions – who are the members of the committee and what is our experience of conference planning?
- Possible themes and sessions to be included in the conference. A wide range of ideas were suggested and discussed – all will be revisited as we progress through the planning process. It was agreed that time for networking and reflection should be a key aim.
- Target audience – how do we ensure that we attract health librarians from academic libraries as well as the NHS? Also we need to attract paraprofessionals as well as librarians.
- Keynote speakers – a couple of suggestions were made but all members of the group were tasked with identifying possible keynote speakers.
- Date and venue – pretty fundamental! A couple of possible venues and dates will be investigated – the full details will be released when confirmed. Watch this space!
Overall it was a really productive first meeting and I have got a really good feeling about this conference – I’m sure that it is going to be a great success. It has been quite a number of years since we had a regional conference and it made me feel quite old when I realised that not everyone will remember the “old” conferences that we used to have in Yorkshire! Even better we will have colleagues from the north-west this time too. I’m looking forward to working with the organising committee and hope that we can put on a good show!
If anyone has any suggestions for the conference please do get in touch with your ideas. Email email@example.com
Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust